>> i s l a n d l i f e

>> i s l a n d  l i f e

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Raining Mangos

Upon our arrival at our new home, we soon discovered the frosting to the already perfect living situation - a mango tree, a tree full of the freshest, most delicious, and satisfying mangos. Jill so graciously has allowed us to take whatever mangos we find and manage to get down through creative means - as most of the mangos are at least 10 feet above our heads. 

So each morning upon exiting the cabana or upon coming home from work we take a peek in the backyard to see if the magic tree has rained any mangos recently capable of consumption, since some mangos are already serving as a home to tiny bugs before dropping to the ground or have been bruised badly due to hitting the ground from such great heights. We often scope out the ripe mangos still on the tree and induce their fall by one of us throwing the kids' soccer ball at the mango and the other standing beneath, ready to catch the mango. We've yet to actually catch a mango since we often are consumed with laughter at the sight of the other person trying to throw the ball at the mango with a panic face in full force. 


Acquiring my appreciation for mangos during my time in Thailand with the delectable dessert - mangos and sticky rice (a favorite loved by Tessa as well) - I have taken upon the role of the official mango cutter. Nearly every night in Thailand I would take a visit to my mango lady down the street from where I was staying and watched her peel the mango I purchased for my mango and sticky rice. She knew exactly where to cut each time in order to get the maximum amount of mango and avoid the seed. 

Channeling my inner mango lady I love challenging myself to peel our mangos in one peel and after nearly a month of mangos I would say I am getting pretty good at mango cutting. 


Each morning after a run on our beach or doing weight training with the company of Kolton we enjoy the fresh mangos in our favorite breakfast bowl - mango, banana, pean (peanut butter), and Whole Food's granola (that we have taken the liberty of sampling every single flavor available). A strange but absolutely perfect combination of flavors. 



With our delicious & power-packed breakfast each morning, we are always ready to tackle the day and all of the glorious adventures that this beautifully created island has to offer us!

No comments:

Post a Comment